Thursday, September 5, 2013

People at the Home-

I've been meaning to write about my move to the retirement home ever since I began this process, but somehow, I was too close to the action. I've been here a month now, and I have begun to get bored and depressed. Sometimes I don't like the home. Maybe if I can write about it, I will be able to refocus and get a better perspective.

I'll begin with the people who live and work here. When I first came, my daughter had made all the arrangements, and I just signed the rent check. The staff seemed active and efficient. The Sales director was a ball of energy talking to people daily to spread the word about the facility and it's benefits. He was often in the dining room with prospective residents for a meal. It was sort of inspiring.

But He was the person responsible for making this look like a good idea. The managers were the ones who handled day to day problems, the ones who made living here possible. Managers were husband and wife teams, and when I moved in there were two sets of managers. By the time I had been here a week, one set of managers had been transferred, and the couple that remained had no relief. They did all the office work, assigned all duties to maids, received all reports and forms from dining room, kitchen help, wrote receipts, answered the phone, and responded to emergencies. Both of them served coffee throughout meals three times a day. 

One of the first people I met when I arrived was the young man who coordinated activities. He was very young and had absolutely no concept of the interests of anyone over 25. He walked around or sat at his desk, but he didn't do much but serve popcorn and drinks at the social hour and bingo 3 or 4 times a week.

The schedule listed many events that were his responsibility, but they were not well attended and he did not do anything to change that situation.

He became angry and got in a shouting match with management and was fired. He was replaced by a volunteer who did a good job, but she was a resident and did not want the job full time.  I saw evidence of some of the arts and crafts ideas he had been in charge of, and I was less than impressed. I left that kind of effort in the third grade and I didn't want to return to it.

Meals were served three times a day. Transportation was provided for local trips to doctors, grocery store, Wal-Mart, and church. I had maid service once a week. I could use the washers and driers and the beauty shop. But lots of areas needed attention and I felt sorry for the managers. The shortage of staff and the lack advertised events and services took the snap out of the deal. Check back to see if we ever get things going the right way.

No comments:

Post a Comment