Friday, August 30, 2013

Work for Retirement

I have become a friend for the woman who is now the volunteering as the Enrichment Director. She is energetic, committed, and enthusiastic about the program. The home is in the process of hiring someone to fill the position professionally. It seems to me the only one who is enriched by the Enrichment Director is the one who has the job. 

The home has this large complicated calendar with many activities listed, but little participation. I guess it looks good to some board or supervisor, but  it doesn't do much for the residents. I guess I'm feeling very negative about the ability of this facility to improve my satisfaction with life and living. 

I'm not sure where these homes get their information about old people . The physical and dietary needs needs are the easy part. The psychological and spiritual needs are difficult. Nobody told me that when I retired to enjoy the benefits of my labor I should retain something to make me feel useful and productive. People who paint can continue to paint and people who write work on a book or a blog, I guess. There are people here who seem to get along with minimal activity.Maybe they have a hobby I don't know about. About all I do is go to meals.  I am sharing this  insight to all my friends who have not retired to a "home" yet. Don't let yourself arrive at the "home" with no plan for work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment