Monday, August 26, 2013

What Do I Do Now?

The worst thing about retirement is not having a job, a goal, a responsibility. I saw it when my husband retired. He was ready to retire from the job, but he wasn't ready to be jobless. Now I have moved to a retirement home. There are activities but they are meaningless. There are some things I have to do, like wash my clothes and pay bills. But none of these are meaningful. They pass time. The activities like playing cards or dominoes are just passing times. Reading is better-at least it gives me a chance to interact with
thoughts and ideas. I don't really do well with games even though the people are interesting and challenging. When the game ends I don't feel accomplishment or victory. I feel like I have wasted time, and I don't feel good about it. 

I've got to go back to work. I've got to feel productive. Of course, what I want to do is not really something that increases the gross national product, but since I have to wrestle with ideas and produce a logical argument, I can tell myself that it is contributing to the world's knowledge. Maybe my writing is just my opinion, but expressing it gives me a great deal of pleasure. Making the expression coherent and concise is important to what I call my work. Nobody has to know that I do it. I don't make any money. I don't impress people with with knowledge or skill. But I still consider this my work. I write about opinions, ideas, and events that impress, thrill, or anger me. I argue in favor of righteousness or common sense, or I criticize foolishness or folly when I see it as damaging to people or society. 

Getting  back to work may make my living in the retirement home easier to deal with. I sure hope so--It's a mess like this.  

No comments:

Post a Comment