Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Do the Right Thing!

The Resident Council of "the home" meets today. Being a member of that noble body does not thrill me with awe and wonder. Being a member prompts two questions in my mind: Why did anybody vote for me?  and What do the residents expect us to do about the concerns?

I found out how I got elected. A friend decided I would be good on the Resident Council after she discovered I had been on the City Council and served as mayor of a very small town in East Texas. I would not have thought that my credentials would have served me well. A group of citizens took us to District Court charging some sort of malfeasance. It was no-billed, but still that doesn't sound like something I would brag about if I had wanted to be on the council. She impressed others to vote for me. It actually wasn't that many, but here I am.

All the Resident Council does is recommend action to the Manager. Well, we can, as a body address issues verbally. In the only such case so far, the offender stoutly denied that she had done anything. We were acting on the testimony of several people including members of management. We told her that her actions were inappropriate. She still denied responsibility. We couldn't send her to the principal!

The second question: What do residents expect us to do about their concerns? I'll tell you what we do. We read the complaint and then look at each other and shrug our collective shoulders. I really hate the complaints that complain that something isn't fair. We are adults and we found out that life's not fair long before we arrived at this place. That may mean that we have to make up for the deficit in other people's behavior. No, that's not fair, but it's the way life is.  

No comments:

Post a Comment