Thursday, September 19, 2013

Who Do You Want to Eat With?

Going to meals in "the home" is enlightening. When I first moved in, asking if I could sit with someone at meals was a way to get introduced. I didn't enjoy every meal companion I sat with, but it was pretty good way find out who people were and learn ut the local gossip.

The managers encourage new people to introduce themselves. They also encourage residents to make new people feel welcome so I was somewhat surprised one day last week when I sat by myself and several people commented on it. The group at the next table tried to introduce me to another group as if I was helpless. I appreciated their concern, but I'm a big girl and I can take care of myself. When I choose to eat alone, it's because I want to. Sometimes I don't want to talk to people. Sometimes I just want to sit there in the silence and think or maybe not even that--just sit there and wait.

I thought about it for a while. If I wan't to eat alone I need to take something to read. When someone is reading, they don't look alone. They look occupied, busy, even. Maybe if I want to eat alone, I should stay home and eat peanut butter.

When I eat alone, I remember what Frank would have said about the menu or the dishes. He was very critical of "tender crisp vegetables" He wanted them cooked well done. He would have griped about the desserts too. Don't they know what "sugar free" means? There have to be others in a group this large, who would like to have a sugar free dessert. Who ever told the chef that Jello is a salad? By the way, it's not dessert either.I guess this is not a meal I would enjoy. It's just a list of gripes, but there are things he would enjoy, too, and I would enjoy the visit with him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment