Wednesday, October 16, 2013

A Cure for Boredom

Today I complained to a friend that I was bored. She encouraged me to practice my painting. Let me explain. She is a painter and she has been giving me and other instruction in using and enjoying watercolor. Well, I'm trying, but art is not my medium. I am a writer and my talent and my drive is totally confined to writing. I do appreciate art, but it is difficult and I am stressed. I can't get to a place where I enjoy the activity or feel rewarded by the result. 

The sad truth is that I am often bored living in "the home," and painting does nothing to alleviate the condition. Other friends have suggested activities like reading and writing and research. I've already tried them and they are successful in the short term. Over the long haul I need a distant goal, something that will require my skills and energies for months, maybe years. Teaching a Sunday school class or a Bible study comes to mind. Both of these require study, research, organizing a syllabus and imparting information to people I don't know yet.

One of the things I miss is conversation, not idle chit-chat, but sharing of ideas and history, personal stories and experiences, conversations that challenge the memory and intellect. People rarely want to get into this kind of conversation. It's work, very pleasant work, but it requires effort and accuracy. It means you have to deal with subjects that may need references and quotes from authorities. It may also mean you have to take a stand and defend it. 

I guess I'll try again. Bible study, Sunday school, are looking pretty good right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment