Monday, October 14, 2013

Boredom at "The Home"

I keep trying to find a way to make living in "the home" more than just tolerable; I want it to be a victory shout, a triumph. But the people I am here with don't make that easy. Football is a big subject on Monday morning, Both college and professional teams are represented in the ranks of the retired here at "the home." Plays and performance are reviewed at breakfast whether the enthusiasts reveal any expertise in the area of football or not. 

I watched football when my husband was alive, but in my retirement without him, I now focus on interests that are my own. I have yet to find anyone who wants to chat about Bible study, poetry, Latin, modern or ancient history, physics, or adult developmental theory.  My lack of interesting conversation is my own problem. I don't blame anyone else, but it does explain why I am bored and can't get excited about a card game or a craft. Last Friday night I went to the art gallery with a friend who is a painter and I enjoyed it very much. I wanted to stay longer, but everybody else was ready to leave. I wanted to talk about the pieces and hear the artists comments. 

It seems like I expect too much out of retirement. I would like to struggle to learn and find the kind of reward I got when I first studied Latin.. I do have a lot of books so for a while they may be the best I can do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment