Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Dark Matter Is a Black Cherry.

In the dining room at "the home" we can sit anywhere and with anyone. I sit with Fred Ellis quite a bit. He is very hard of hearing and never makes conversation. Occasionally he does make comments. Fred was a physicist and lectured at Pan-Am University here. One night a couple of weeds ago I tried to overcome the language problem by writing notes to him. 

"Tell me about Dark Matter," I wrote. He smiled and said, "Nobody knows anything about it. Stephen Hawking talks about it."
Tonight when I sat down, he said, "Tell me about Dark Matter." We laughed. 

We agreed that the soup was somewhat less than we had hoped for mostly with glances and hand signals. We sat back to see if the menu was accurate:. It said we would have a hot sandwich. I leaned close to his ear and said, "Sometimes they lie." We laughed again.

The patty melt sandwich was O.K. I was interested in what the dessert would be. The menu says we will have English Trifle about once a week and we have never had anything that even resembled trifle. Dessert was ice cream with a black cherry and sauce. I ate a few bites and the black cherry. Fred took the cherry out of his ice cream and deposited it on the paper place mat, and then continued to consume all the ice cream. 

  "I don't know what that is." Fred pointed with his spoon. I leaned close to his ear.
"It's Dark Matter," I said.

Supper was over and we parted smiling. Fred is a charming dinner companion.

No comments:

Post a Comment