Saturday, November 1, 2014

Waiting for God

English: Stephanie Cole on set with Doc Martin...
English: Stephanie Cole on set with Doc Martin Series 4 in Port Isaac (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
I don't want to play the 'feel sorry for me' card, but I keep finding things that don't work anymore. It forces me to move on to find things I can do that I still enjoy. My fingers have become arthritic, and my vision is impaired so sewing is no longer a diversion. I was never an artist although my friend did all she could to bring that about. I can still type so the computer is my best hope to be productive and active.


I used to enjoy an English comedy about two old people in a home for old people entitled "Waiting for God." It starred Tom Crowden and Stephanie Cole. I loved it. Now I love it even more since I'm there now. They were forever battling the people who thought they knew what the old folks needed. They were still mentally active though somewhat less agile than they wished. They had strong minds and opinions and they planned to use them.

I'm with them. I did live in such an establishment for a year. I finally moved out and now I'm supposed to be old, lonely and embittered by life. At least, that's the view the popular magazines promote.

Betty White's show "Off Their Rockers" is a wonderful retreat from good sense and decorum and gives old people a chance to let their hair down and live it up. I know it's all in good fun, and most of us would not want to violate normal mores and customs in this manner all the time. But it does give me a good laugh to see old people having fun at the expense of the people with better sight, hearing and balance. At least in the safety of home on TV we get to see the joke and laugh with the old people .

No comments:

Post a Comment