Wednesday, November 12, 2014

How Important Is Home?

Where we call home is important to how we see ourselves. Our childhood home is significant in all the homes we create for ourselves after we leave it, but each new home seems to be a reflection of ourselves.

I had only two homes from the time I was a child till my husband died, not counting the dorm room at college. Since he died I have had four homes. I lived in a very nice town home alone for a couple of years, then my daughter's husband died and she moved in with me in the same similar town home with her daughter. Since my daughter is disabled, I tried to make that home convenient and satisfactory for her.  

When my health began to suffer, I moved to a retirement apartment that provided some amenities to lessen my stress: meals, light housekeeping, activities, etc. After a year of that, I found I was not happy or less stressed and moved to an apartment in which I was on my own again. This move has forced me to confront the importance of making home my refuge and my citadel. I have flirted with the idea of becoming a hermit ever since Frank died. Maybe now I am at the threshold. 

Being a hermit is not all that bad except that I struggle to find a reason to get out of bed. I don't have anything to do. Nobody depends on me. Sometimes TV is boring beyond belief. I can resort to the computer, and it does help. You see the result of my efforts in this blog. Consider what you want to do when you retire, and make plans that will provide a sustainable interest should you find yourself in a similar situation. Boredom is a terrible burden!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment