Thursday, November 6, 2014

Things to Avoid When Getting Old

As I get older, there are some things that I don't want to do that seem to be required of older people. Some people have suggested I might benefit from using a cane, my doctor, for instance, since my walking has become unstable. Canes are really a mark of authority and mark the owner as venerable and respected, however, I'm not attracted by the aluminium ones I see, even if they are decorated with strawberries or candy canes. 

I'm not interested in the walkers that have wheels and look like a chariot, either. My sister-in-law was very pleased with hers because when she got tired she could sit on it, and it had a basket beneath the seat for carrying items. One friend was forever leaving it somewhere and then had to retrieve it later.

This may be a required skill for getting old, but I'm fighting it as hard as I can. If I have to use a cane,  I want one that looks nice, wooden, waxed and elegant. I might want to twirl it or flourish it on the street. In a pinch it might serve as a weapon. My husband had one that could serve as a stick to measure the height of your horse. I'm not sure that it's a requirement to be a Kentucky Colonel, but it sounds good to me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment