Sunday, January 19, 2014

Bible Study and Poetry Reading

I am feeling sad and lonely. And very bored. Last Wednesday I finally got a group of people to join me in Bible study. I was thrilled. Then on Friday I invited several people to join me to read poetry. Sad to say, nobody showed up, but take heart. On Saturday afternoon, quite by chance I met Alberta in the library and we did read some poetry and talked about it and some of the authors we like. These events should give me some encouragement But today I still feel that vacant spot in my future. 

I don't want activity. I want purpose. I want something to extend beyond the moment when we meet. It's not that I miss reading the Bible. I do that alone. I comment on it and research it and examine it's truths alone. Poetry reading is sort of like Bible reading. There are truths contained here that take meditation and reflection and exploration. Sharing it with someone else is valuable and it blesses me. Hearing someone else's view or interpretation is important, too.

I think this is a very boring subject to most people. It doesn't have any explosions, and nobody gets dismembered. There are no touchdowns or home runs. We all keep our clothes on.

Bible study and poetry reading touch the heart of  faith and the beginning of emotional connection to others. Both activities embrace the world of ideas. Nursery rhymes were some of the first poetry we learned, and they stay with us all our lives. Poetry carries the passion of the young lovers and the lament of the bereaved. 

I want to continue to share this message: Study your Bible and read poetry. Both will bless your life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment