Saturday, July 14, 2012

Getting Older, Hurting More

I learned that Chiropractic wasn't the new cure I hoped it was.  I went to my doctor last week, and he X-rayed my neck.  The reason it hurts all the time is that there isn't much cartilage in it anymore, and two of the vertebrae have fused.  I am getting older--I should expect these changes.  


Somehow I never get ready for things to be painful or limiting.  Getting older is better when I feel I have accomplished something, conquered a mountain, or learned a new truth.  And I am still looking for those successes.  I keep trying to push on in spite of distractions, and sometimes I do.  I am comforted, in the face of the things I can't do anymore, with the fact that I did them when it mattered.  I don't sew anymore, partly because my vision is not very good for that kind of work.  Now the neck would be a problem too.  But I remember some of the things I made for my kids--pants, dresses, swimsuits, jackets, and western shirts for my husband.  I don't need to do that anymore.  


I wonder how much that sewing contributed to the pain in my neck.

No comments:

Post a Comment