Friday, July 20, 2012

Demands of Presidential Election

Getting older is driving me to grow and improve.  I find many places where I want to examine life and events in greater detail, but I'm not always prepared for the result.  Right now I am focusing on the political situation and the presidential race, and I don't like the effort it takes to examine the record of candidates.  The deeper I get in looking at this kind of stuff, the less I like any of the candidates.


I am insulted by Obama's refusal to honor the American flag, or salute when the National Anthem is played.  I wonder how veterans feel when he makes statements that praise their service, but he has been photographed repeated without the customary salute to the flag during the playing of the song or reciting the Pledge of Allegiance .  This sounds like a petty reason not to vote for him, but it does go to the foundation of what it means to be an American.


Most of what I see on TV is political rhetoric designed to influence and persuade rather than inform.  Nobody is really talking about the failure of the economic rescue.  Predictions from economists are disheartening:  Things are going to get worse again, and this time nobody will be spared.  


Obamacare has been declared the law of the land by the highest court, and it seems like there is nothing we can do about it.  I guess there are still people calling for it's repeal.  Really?  I think it's a lost cause.  Nobody knows what it means.  The people who wrote it don't even know, and certainly, nobody has explained it to the people who will be affected by it.  But if I heard right, Congress won't be affected.  Aren't they exempted?  


What was that I said about understanding life in a deeper and more concentrated way?  Do I really want to?  Will it help?  



No comments:

Post a Comment