Thursday, March 1, 2012

Why Do My Muscles Cramp?


PARIS - NOVEMBER 11: Nicolas Almagro of Spain suffers from a cramp attack during his match against Rafael Nadal of Spain during the ATP Masters Series at the Palais Omnisports De Paris-Bercy on November 11, 2009 in Paris, France.


I have asked many doctors this question:  Why do my muscles cramp?  They all have a different answer, and none of them has ever relieved my distress.  Each one gave me a little piece of the puzzle, but it is a far more complex problem than I thought.
Muscle cramps cannot be treated with a single strategy because they have multiple causes.  To reduce the pain and disruption in life activities, I had to address several issues. 
  • Dehydration can cause cramping.  The human body is about 75% water, so it is essential to maintain fluid levels.  Sometimes medications and treatment can promote cramping.  Medications that reduce fluid may contribute to the problem.  One side effect of dialysis may also cause cramping.  When the boys in my high school began football practice in late summer, they suffered with leg cramps. Profuse sweating in the heat of August was part of the cause.  The coaches wisely kept a large supply of water for them.
  • Lack of necessary substances can cause cramping.  Calcium, Potassium, Magnesium, and Sodium are substances that are significant in the proper operation of the muscles.  Insufficient supply may bring on cramps.  A deficiency may be difficult to track down.  There is probably enough salt in ordinary food to supply the sodium.  Supplements of Calcium, Potassium, and Magnesium are available over the counter at any drug store.  Try one at a time to see if there is a single cause.  When I was pregnant, the doctor prescribed Calcium, but it didn’t work.  Now I take Potassium and find it reduces the cramping.
  • Strenuous or extended activity may cause cramping.  I sometimes make bread, but not everyday.  Gripping a spoon or whisk during the mixing process causes my hands to have severe cramps and prevents me from finishing the bread quickly.  I think this is because I don’t do it often enough.  I can usually relieve it by soaking my hands in warm water for a few minutes–washing dishes is good.
  • Sometimes cramping seems to be spontaneous and without cause.  It may also be a combination of causes, and you may have to find your own routine.  Exercise to stretch and flex muscles helps to keep them strong and active.  Good diet to maintain proper intake of vitamins and minerals is essential.  Be sure to drink plenty of water.  If the cramps in your feet or legs gets too bad in the middle of the night, take a warm bath.  None of my doctors ever suggested this, but it works.  Doctors do advise against rubbing muscles that are cramping for fear of dislodging blood clots and causing a heart attack or stroke.  A massage from a licensed therapist is wonderful to relieve sore muscles!

No comments:

Post a Comment