Thursday, March 15, 2012

Memories Hold Amazing Power

(L to R) Paul, Kevin and Winnie
Image via Wikipedia

Memory is a way of holding onto the things you love, the things you are, the things you never want to lose. ~From the television show The Wonder Years
Psychologists are interested in memories for a lot of reasons. Some of the things that have happened to us are woven into the fabric of our beliefs and our personalities. The blessings of childhood are with us throughout our adult lives. Some of them bless us forever.
I will always remember that my mother thought I was the most attractive and charming child at the birthday party. She actually felt sorry for all the other mothers. I remember that I felt awkward and foolish a great deal of the time. I was corrected constantly. The reality of my amazing presence was in her mind, not mine.
She did truly want me to be perfect and viewed me that way. Even though I knew it was not true, I still felt special. I knew that she would shape me to be a more satisfactory individual, more studious, more creative, more stylish, and more graceful.
My mother died when I was ten. Her influence has been a constant in my life. Many times I have reflected on her opinion of me and altered the course I had chosen knowing she would want me to go a different way. I am still blessed by her love and her opinion.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment