Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Adult Development--What is that?


I first heard about adult development about 1985 when I was in college studying psychology. I had six kids, so I was relatively familiar with child development, but the idea that there are stages in adulthood was a wonderful revelation. At that time I was already 45 so I had accomplished several stages--some of them were out of order. I didn't finish my degree or hold a paying job until I was fifty.
I had already done the parent stages in some measure. My oldest child was in the army. My marriage was stable and we owned a house and were involved in the community. I didn't want to learn about the stages of adult development just for eriudition; I found that the stages explained things very well. Young adults were the ones who brought about women't lib and desegregation, in great measure, because that is the stage of development they were in. Old people volunteer because they want to pass on their wisdom and because they need to feel needed. Young people volunteer because they want their children to have the advantages of scouting or play softball.
There are lots of reasons and explanations for why we do the activites when we do, and most of them have to do with the stage of development we are in. Old age has developmental stages too, I think. When I studied it there had not been enough longitudinal studies to define the stages past 65 or 70. Now I am there and I want to know what those stages are.
 Hobbies may give the later years new and exciting opportunities.

I think the first stage you encounter in old age is the time of grieving for your job. Women whose children have gone to college or gotten married experience the "empty nest" syndrome. I think retirement has a somewhat similar time of adjustment. Even if you did not like the job, it was something to fill the time. Even if you felt underpaid, you got a check. It takes a while to shift your emphasis and find some activity to fill the time and use the energy you formerly spent on your job.
Some people have hobbies or goals, though they may not be profitable, that bring personal satisfaction. Others may take longer to establish a new life structure. This is the nature of a transition. When a retiree has accomplished the transition, he or she is ready to build again. Women have something of a different task here. Often a woman has a household routine that sustains her for a while. If she has retired from an active career, she may experience the same stress a man does, but sometimes the house work and home organization fills her life while her husband has nothing to do. This may be a new order of business. Single or married, this time in life requires a new life structure and new responsibilities occupy your time.
This may be the first task of Old Age. I may have to write a paper and recruit people to enter into a study. How about it--want to join?

No comments:

Post a Comment