Monday, May 11, 2015

Just One Good Nights Sleep!

I have had trouble going to sleep lately. I have adopted the habit of getting up after an hour when sleep does not come and doing something to try to entice the blessed slumber. I have read, made lists of groceries and household jobs, and written in the blog. It's not a guarantee, but sometimes it helps when I go back to bed.

I have done a little research to find out what I'm doing wrong. If you don't have sleep apnea or narcolepsy, the internet resources are not much help. They give the same advice your grandmother would: Avoid spicy foods, take a warm bath, establish reasonable bedtime rituals, read calming literature, and relax by turning off the TV.

My research did emphasize the disruptive nature of anxiety and stress, and I have tried to eliminate these negative factors from my life. But it's not always something I can control. My daughter expects to have surgery soon. That is a stressor and I can't do anything about it. My son was in jail recently--another stressor that is beyond my control.

I also have a daughter who is trying to help me with transportation to Dr. appointments and other critical issues. But talk about stress! Of course she is a 'take charge ' person. I think she has become the mother in this situation and I am the stubborn child. I love her dearly, but my frustration is sometimes more apparent than I intend it to be. Sometimes our interactions replay in my mind while I am trying to go to sleep. Now I have visions of the stress meter dial rising to explosion level, and sleep is the farthest thing from my mind.

I suppose the advice is still the same--forgive and reframe, get over it and start over, use the calming recitation to rid my mind of the anger or bitterness, move forward. Of course she is young and does not really understand old age. I wish I didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment