Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Generativity--The Key to Successful Aging

I notice I haven't mentioned Stage Development lately. When you are facing the prospect of getting old, Stage Development is very important. Stage Development is relegated to childhood and youth when you get to the advanced years; at least, that's our perception, but the truth is there are stages that are only becoming evident now because we haven't had enough people who are old enough to demonstrate them. As the "Greatest Generation" has entered into these later stages the researchers have given names to new stages. I kinda like that. It makes me feel like I'm still viable and interesting. It gives me a new adventure to explore.

Generatively is one of the advanced stages in the original set of developmental tasks. When you get old and have mastered your craft you need to pass on the lessons you learned. Mentors are valuable to our society, and the young and ignorant benefit from our knowledge. The last stage according to Erik Erikson is the dichotomy between integrity and despair and gives us the opportunity to leave the world better than we found it. Entering this stage means we can enjoy ourselves and foster the next generation. In old age we can study the things we forgot about earlier, read the books, watch the movies and go to the fairs without guilt or shame.

My husband died a few years ago, so I'm making this journey alone. Well, not quite; I remember him and enjoy the activities I think he would revel in. When school starts in the fall I am going to offer to be a mentor for kids who need help in understanding poetry, conjugating verbs and writing a coherent sentence. I hope that challenges me. I'd really like to teach a class in kite building, too. And making bread. There are some things I can do and would love to share with people who want to learn. Getting older is getting better. So am I!

No comments:

Post a Comment