Tuesday, April 21, 2015

A Day To Remember

English: “Surrender of Santa Anna” by William ...
English: “Surrender of Santa Anna” by William Huddle (1847–92), 1886 The painting "Surrender of Santa Anna" by William Huddle, shows the Mexican strong-man surrendering to a wounded Sam Houston. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
April 21 is A Day to Remember. I think I was counting it April 19, but I was wrong. Today is the anniversary of the Day in which 910 scruffy Texans beat 1200 Mexican troops in a short battle at San Jacinto and gave Texas freedom from Mexico. It's a day for Texans to claim and reverence. The Battle of the Alamo is the one everyone remembers. Even John Wayne celebrated it. But the Battle of San Jacinto is the one that counts in the record books and in the historical record.

This hallowed day is one to remember and to brag about. That's something Texas has a reputation for--bragging. We are a proud land and people. And we share a proud history. It's one I have claimed for my own. My ancestors were here in the early days, growing crops, raising cattle, buying and selling horses, building towns and families, making progress and putting down roots. I am so proud to have this heritage and to pass it to my children.

This is something that doesn't loose its luster as I get older. I am prouder of my Texas ancestry now than ever. I'm a Texan all year round, and life long. It's something that I'll never get over.  

No comments:

Post a Comment