Thursday, March 26, 2015

How to Beat The Blahs

Getting old has some unsuspected pitfalls. Perpetual idleness is a trap. It has some severe consequences that lead to worse problems.
I blame myself for feeling idle, useless, and unproductive. The cure for these problems is purposeful activity. Whining and excuses don't improve this picture, but there are some factors that contribute to the condition. I no longer drive. I blame this for much of my inactivity. (Don't whine.) 

The real cure lies in focusing on filling time with challenging and meaningful activity. Learn something new. Read a classic you never read before. Explore a subject you have avoided: physics or astronomy. 

I write this like it's advice to others who rare facing this boring extreme, but it's really realizations I have embraced. I may still watch the mind-numbing fare offered on TV, but when that becomes a drag, I do know the cure. I can read Winston Churchill or G. K. Chesterton or study calculus or work out, even just a pleasant walk beats boredom. Just do something, anything will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment