Friday, March 13, 2015

Did You Know That Today Is Pi Day?

I didn't, but now I'm enjoying that I even know what pi is. Oh, by the way, today is also Albert Einstien's birthday. Since he was a brilliant and renowned physicist and mathematician I think is an appropriate day to remember him and pi.

Pi is the ratio of the radius of a circle to the circumference. Aren't you impressed that I know that? Don't be. It took a very good teacher several years of algebra to impart that to my brain.

One of the exciting things about this being Pi Day is that it has all kinds of facts associated with it. For instance, Pi is an irrational number. That means it is an infinitely repeating decimal. It never decides on what it's value is. Maybe that's not the way to state it. 3.14 may be as close as it can get.

I'd be a little more certain of things if it was pie day. Pies are more common in my experience than pi.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment