Tuesday, December 17, 2013

A New Bump in the Road

Lots of diseases and conditions are more likely to occur when you get older. I was first diagnosed with Diabetes when I was past 50 and I managed for a long time to keep it in control with simple strategies like losing weight and controlling what I ate. I did finally require medication by mouth, but I dreaded advancement to insulin therapy even though I knew it was probably coming. 

Well, get over it. It happened today. The doctor called the dosage small. I guess it is, but it still indicates I am getting worse. That's not something I want to shout about. I don't like to advertise my illnesses or seek pity or privileges due to this condition. I feel a little ashamed or embarrassed about it. Maybe I'm giving it more power over my life than it warrants. Maybe I can manage it without great parades and the bands playing, but somehow this marks a new milestone in my life. It's no longer just something that I can control with a better diet and a pill once a day. Now I'll be more at risk for low blood sugar because of the shot. I'll probably have to see the doctor more often. She may expect me to count calories. Whatever the requirements, I already don't like the way this is going. I've seen the damage this disease did to others and reduces my optimism about getting old. 

I had really kind of settled on growing old gracefully, but debilitating disease does not enhance that possibility.  

No comments:

Post a Comment