Sunday, February 3, 2013

Music That Sings in My Soul



I watched a segment devoted to Tim McGraw on  CBS Sunday Morning this morning. He commented on the importance of music in how we mark and organize our experiences. He referred to a song he wrote and sang entitled "Live Like You're Dying." His father Tug McGraw died afterward. He admitted it was the most emotional experience he ever had in recording a song. 

The interview prompted me to reflect on the way music has been important to me. I've never had any musical talent, but I've always enjoyed the message and emotion I found in it. I remember my uncle Jimmie would hear a song on the radio and say "I first heard that in 1934," or "I was dating this little brunette that really liked my hair." Now that I look back on it, I remember that Jimmie tied songs to significant events in his life.

I'm more likely to relate lyrics to truths like rare poetry and melodies to emotions, the kind that play in your heart. Mostly its the "golden oldies" for me. Some of the music I lean on are the hymns that carry the words of my faith. They inspire me and keep me going even when things are bad. Some songs are like old friends: they remind me of happy times, loving people, joyous events. I think Tim McGraw is right: Music helps us organize our lives and keep the beat regular.


No comments:

Post a Comment