Friday, February 15, 2013

Grandchildren Are Grand

One benefit and joy of growing older is the ability to reflect on my life and remember how I came through the ages and stages of growing up. I spent last weekend with my daughter and her husband and two children. It was wonderful! I planned the trip around Katy's performance in the February recital of her dance class. Katy is in the youngest group and she only participated in one dance. It was a tap number and she was on the back row, but she was great. (This is a grandmother praising her, you understand.) 

I asked Shania why she never wanted to learn to dance. She said simply, "It's just not my thing." Good enough. Her thing was running for presidnecy of the BPA in her school. This year she surrendered the position to a new person and is now running for a state office in the organization. I am very proud of her accomplishments, too.

Now that all the fun is over, I am reflecting on where I've been and how some of it has affected me. I took tap lessons when I was 5 or 6. I remember the total embarrassment of getting caught in front of the curtain when it closed and having no where to go. I remember the demands of practice and the reward of smiles and claps.

I was president of my Girl Scout troop when I was 11. I don't know that I was great and I think Shania will surpass me, but I remember the responsibility that office taught me.  A few years ago I was the mayor of my town for about 4 years. If I had known I was going to need the experience, I would have paid more attention the first time.

It is fun and exciting and hopeful to see my grandchildren growing into competent and successful people. I want to applaud their efforts and support them through these experiences, good or bad. so that they are not afraid to tackle the next job. Growing up is hard work, but for me looking on, it's also joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment