Monday, June 27, 2016

Sleepless Everywhere

I recognize many benefits and advantages to getting older. I have few responsibilities for anyone else. I don't have to work anymore. I don't have to clean up after other people. I am my own person. Of course, there are some negatives here, too. I am alone. I don't drive anymore, so I am also stranded. All of these have both negative and positive aspects. The feature that seems to attend aging that bugs me most is sleeplessness.

I can't go to sleep easily anymore. I have decided this may be due to my level of activity. I don't do anything to make me tired anymore. House work, shopping, cleaning, cooking, all those chores that seem so boring provided the energy out-lay that made me value going to bed at night. Knowing that makes it sound like it would be an easy fix: Just work or walk or do something.

It's not that easy. Even walking when there is no where to go is pointless. I have a small apartment. Working in it gets even the vacuuming done quickly. I don't have anyone to cook for so that one is done too easily, too.

I have resorted to the over the counter meds for sleep. Bad news guys. If I take the pills and go to bed at a reasonable time, say 11:00p.m. I'll probable sleep 2 or 2 1/2 hours, Then I wake up and can't go back to sleep till the sun comes up.

The final result of this frustrating regime is constant sleepiness. I could beg the doctor for the Valium or other medication that would really knock me out, but I don't really want to become a drug addict.
I have spoken with other people who are my age, and I find this is rather common. Maybe we could form a support group. We might save all our telephoning for after midnight. At least we could make could use of our time. I have started writing letters when I can't sleep. Makes sense to me. If I can't sleep, at least I have company.

No comments:

Post a Comment