Saturday, March 5, 2016

To Gain or Maintain?

I have noticed a considerable loss of strength and dexterity in my arms and legs of late. I determined to try to recover some of it by exercise. I tried walking, then I used the treadmill and lifting weights. Then I gave up.

I have formulated a new theory. Well, maybe it's just a new view of an old theory: As we age, we lose muscle strength and dexterity. It's not something you can prevent. Some loss is inevitable. But don't despair: you can slow the decline and maintain your muscles with effort. But realize you'll never be what you were at 18, or 30, or 50 again. It's just the way things are.

Your brain may be your best chance at things getting better. It can still learn, and remember, and create, at least in the absence of severe impairment or disease, into you very late years--even 100.  Don't give up! It aint over, til it's over.

No comments:

Post a Comment