Friday, January 16, 2015

How Old Are You?

I pride myself on being truthful, but I really lie a lot. When people ask me how I'm doing, I say "Fine." That's a lie. I can't remember appointments or deadlines. Maybe I'm not doing so well.

In 1983 I went back to school to finish my degree. At the time, I said I had to do it immediately because dementia and Alzheimer's were nipping at my heels. By the end of 1886 I finished my Bachelor's and Master's degrees. I comforted myself that I had outrun the evil demons of old age, but I wasn't nearly as old then as I am now, and I'm still running. They are gaining on me though. The stroke has slowed me down some, and I ache more and forget more.

Now I try to avoid the reminders of my age and disabilities. To help overcome the problems caused by the stroke, I do physical therapy. I don't know that it's doing much good. I had just about gotten back to walking like I'm supposed to when I started it, and I really hate it. It requires me to do things that hurt and things I can't do. Of course, theoretically, it strengthens the weak muscles. But they are the ones that hurt.

I console myself that I'm still doing what I want to, but that's a lie too, sometimes. If I could still do what I want to I wouldn't need the physical therapy. Age really is relative. I have a friend who is 92. She does as well in general activities as I do. My daughter Carol is 49 and she is far more limited in life-style and general activity than I am, but her problems stem from her arthritis. It's all relative. What do I need to do? What could I do if I tried harder?

Interest, enthusiasm, concern, and joy may be more important than age in determining what I can do. Or what I may accomplish. Remember, it ain't over til it's over.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment