Saturday, June 14, 2014

Swimming for Exercise, Not Boiling

Kaya focusing on the ceiling as she warms up w...
Kaya focusing on the ceiling as she warms up with the backstroke. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
I did something dumb again. I've done it before, and I would have thought I would learn the lesson and not repeat it. But I didn't. I went to the pool and swam, and played, and talked for about an hour and a half. I got blistered. I don't think it's really bad, but my shoulders are definitely red and tender. My face looks flushed and I dread wearing real clothes. That's the reason I'm still lazing around in my sleep shirt today. I can avoid the outside world for a while and my skin will return to something that wont be shocking to people.

I'll try not to do it again. If I go swimming early in the morning maybe I can really take advantage of the pool and not get the heavy-duty rays that turn me into a boiled lobster. I want to get my swimming back to something that can legitimately be called exercise. The pool here is large. I'm hoping that five laps three times a week will help me strengthen my upper body muscles and give me more endurance. I'm really tired of hurting all the time and feeling like a slob.

I want to improve my back stroke, my side stroke, my skull, and my frog kick. I was never good at the breast stoke anyway. It sounds like the good, strong strokes would strengthen my upper body and reduce my chronic weariness. Please say it so!

No comments:

Post a Comment