Monday, May 26, 2014

Memorial Day

A United States poster advertising World War I...
A United States poster advertising World War I Liberty Bonds (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Today I am forced to remember people who have touched me with their service in the Armed Forces. My father served in the First World War. He rarely mentioned it, but it gave me a sense of pride even when I had no memory of that event. My parents had friends who were serving in the Second World War. Then, my mother was active in the Red Cross and my father sold War Bonds. I remember the ration stamps Mama had to use for buying some items, like sugar and the meatless Tuesdays. Now I have a more personal connection to the military. Two of my children and several of my grandchildren have served.  Military service in defense of my country is a personal matter when it involves family members.

I don't always agree with government actions and political slogans, but I find it hard to blame the men and women who serve with these ulterior motives. They have a different perspective on war and service than those of us who lurk back here behind the lines. Being in the line of fire changes the truths you look at and the potential for personal sacrifice.  

Today I'll think more about the people who have committed their time and lives in service to our nation and less about the speakers and the flag waving, more about the country's support of the military and less about the support of Congress or the President. The current scandal over Veterans getting health care is an on-going problem. I question so many aspects of health care already; adding the regard for veterans to the already insurmountable mess the health care industry is already in leaves me thinking we need to view this as some different battle and take it out of the government control. It was a huge mistake to surrender health care to government in the first place. What else is at risk with government take-over?  
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for your reading and your input. I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete